June 21, 2009

Bananarchy

This past Friday, Ryan and I sampled Austin's latest dessert craze, a frozen banana, from Bananarchy. The small trailer started by two young entrepreneurs, Anna and Laura, shares a parking lot with MoreHands Maid Service on north Lamar. I first noticed the funky name a few weeks ago while driving and had to do a u-turn to make sure I wasn't seeing a mirage. What a genius idea! 

Their menu offers fair-trade bananas on recycled spoons with your choice of dippings (chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter) and a variety of toppings. Ryan ordered a whole banana dipped in a combination of peanut butter and chocolate, then topped it with Reese's Pieces. I tried one with chocolate and oreos. 
Yum.  
The ladies business was inspired by the hilarious sit-com Arrested Development so they hosted a TV night to honor the Bluth Banana Stand. They projected the show in the rear of the property in a shaded carport and set up chairs for their guests. We stuck around with our messy, yet refreshing treats for a couple of episodes. In my opinion, there was no better way to enjoy the frozen banana.

 Bananarchy will be open until October so make sure to check it out one of these hot summer days. You won't be sorry!

No comments: